- Legal & Risk Management
Legal & Risk Management
The county attorney is appointed by the Board of Commissioners and serves at the pleasure of the board. The county attorney oversees both the Legal and Risk Management divisions for the county.
County departments, boards, and commissions receive legal guidance and support from the County Attorney's Office. The tasks performed may involve advice regarding legislation, including drafting of legislation for enactment; drafting or reviewing all county contracts; representing the county, its officers, officials, and employees in civil litigation; studying, drafting, or amending ordinances, resolutions, procedures, and regulations; revising and updating the New County Code of Ordinances; initiating lawsuits to ensure compliance with all county ordinances and regulations; assisting citizens by providing guidance regarding county procedures; assisting contractors with the pre-qualification and re-qualification process to become eligible to bid on New Hanover County projects; and researching and filing bankruptcy claims on behalf of county departments for outstanding balances owed to the county.
- What department is to be contacted when trying to retrieve information on real estate matters, marriage licenses, birth certificates and/or death certificates for New Hanover County?
The number for the Register of Deeds and Vital Records is 910-798-4530. Listings may also be located under the listing for New Hanover County in the phone book for Wilmington.
- What department is to be contacted concerning an issue such as criminal cases or speeding tickets?
The District Attorney's office is the department to contact. The number for this office is 910-772-6610. The number may also be located in the local phone book for Wilmington under North Carolina State Government.
- When is a contract for a project for the County completed?
When the contractor and the County have executed the contract and the original certificate of insurance and/or bonds for the contract have been received.
- What office should be contacted for questions concerning the procedures and/status on estates and wills?
The department to be contacted is Estates and Special Proceedings at 910-772-6600. This department is a division of the North Carolina State Government. The number may also be located under the listings for North Carolina State Government, Clerk of Superior Court in the phone book for Wilmington.
- Where would a person be able to inquire about the procedures to file documents in connection with lawsuits as well as locate and check on the status of various lawsuits?
The department to be contacted is the Clerk of Court at 910-772-6600. The number may also be located under the listing for North Carolina State Government in the local phone book for Wilmington.
- Who do I contact for a cable television complaint?
Recent North Carolina legislation has removed all cable franchising authority from counties and towns.
Time Warner Customers
If you have a complaint regarding Time Warner Cable and are unable to correct the issue with the company, contact the North Carolina Attorney General's office.
Charter Communications Customers
If you have a complaint regarding Charter Communications, please be aware that New Hanover County may only assist if the problem is regarding quality of service. We have no authority over cable pricing. With the expiration of the county's franchise in the fall of 2012, all complaints related to Charter Communications should be directed to the North Carolina Attorney General's office.
Please note, if you are unable to satisfy your concerns regarding cable television service, contact your state representative or state senator.
- What are the Risk Management Department's phone and fax numbers?
- What is the Risk Management Department's mailing address?
230 Government Center Drive, Suite 125-A
Wilmington, NC 28403
- Can Risk Management provide advice about insuring my commercial business?
No. Please contact your insurance agent or call the North Carolina Insurance Commissioner’s office at 1-800-546-5664.
- Can the Risk Management Department answer questions about my homeowners, auto, life, or health insurance?
No. Please contact your insurance agent or call the North Carolina Insurance Commissioner's office at 800-546-5664.
- Can I get definitions for Insurance and Risk Management terms?
Yes. Please refer to this glossary.