Statistics show that an increasing number of people are falling victim to scams, especially seniors. Part of the problem is that scammers are highly adaptable and can mimic legitimate communications. If you've been scammed, do not hesitate to ask for help. We've gathered some resources below to assist.
- Senior Resource Center:
- Andrew Zeldin, Social Work Supervisor (910) 798-6445.
- Jeffrey Lee, Social Worker & Co-Chair of the Elder Abuse Prevention Network (910)798-6443.
- Adult Protective Services: (Elder Abuse, Neglect, Self-Neglect & Exploitation of seniors): 1650 Greenfield St. Wilmington, NC 28401 (910) 798-3420
- Secret Service Wilmington – 1717 Shipyard Blvd. Wilmington, NC 28403. (910) 313-3043 (ask for Wade Flemming or Mark Yates)
- Social Security Administration – 1528 S. 16th St. Wilmington. NC 28401. 1-800-772-1213 (ask for a Security Block on your Social Security Number)
- Local Law Enforcement – G. K. Moore, Deputy Sheriff, Corporal Crime Awareness & Prevention Unit. (910) 798-4132 G. K. Moore answers to, William Montjoy, Deputy Sheriff First Sergeant (910) 798-4245.
- Senior Law Project – Free legal advice for seniors over the age of 60 in NC. Please note that it takes an hour at times to get through to someone at times. They will never charge you for what is within the scope of their services provided. Again, it can be difficult to get through - practice patience. 1-800-579-7562
- United Way of North Carolina and the Cybercrime Support Network (CSN) are starting North Carolina’s first cybercrime support and recovery hotline. The new system allows North Carolina residents to dial 211 to report and find resources to recover from identity theft, financial fraud, cyberstalking, cyberbullying, and other cybercrimes. This initiative was made possible through a Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Victim Assistance Grant that was awarded by The North Carolina Governor’s Crime Commission. Additional support for the project has been provided by the North Carolina Department of Information Technology (NCDIT).
- The Senior Resource Center partners with Senior Planet for classes on scam prevention. Contact Megan for more details (910) 612-5379.