New Hanover County is working to increase free wireless internet access throughout the county for children and families who lack access to high-speed internet. This will benefit students, families, and job seekers who don't have internet access otherwise.
New Hanover County has extended outdoor, free public wireless access at the following county-owned locations:
- NHC Government Center - south parking lot and inside building during business hours (230 Government Center Drive)
- Health and Human Services parking lot (1650 Greenfield Street)
- Register of Deeds parking lot (320 Chestnut Street)
- Cape Fear Museum Park (corner of Market and 8th streets)
- Downtown Library Story Park (corner of 3rd and Chestnut streets)
- Northeast Public Library branch - parking area on left of building (1241 Military Cutoff Road)
- Pine Valley Library branch - parking area in front of the outdoor chessboard (3802 S College Road)
- Pleasure Island Library branch - parking area in front of entrance (1401 N Lake Park Boulevard Number 72, Carolina Beach)
- Environmental Management administration parking lot (3002 U.S. Highway 421 North)
- Castle Hayne Fire Department parking lot (5311 Castle Hayne Road)
- Porters Neck Fire Department parking lot (8310 Shiraz Way)
Signs are up in these locations, notifying residents of the free Wi-Fi access points. The county's network name is "NHC_FreeWi-Fi" and does not require a password to access.
There are also several school locations that have extended wireless outside buildings.